Monday, July 29, 2013

What Makes A Great Road? insuranceinstantonline.blogspot.com

Written By Unknown; About: What Makes A Great Road? insuranceinstantonline.blogspot.com on Monday, July 29, 2013

insuranceinstantonline.blogspot.com ® What Makes A Great Road?

It turns out that the Stelvio Pass, the archetypal greatest road in the world, is actually kind of crap. So what actually defines a great road?


Well, willmederski has an idea, and it has less to do apexes, and more to do with familiarity.



I'm sorry, these might be the greatest, coolest, twistiest roads...


But as far as I'm concerned, the best road is a road you can find within a days ride/drive from home. Even better if you've got a good road that you can work into your daily commute.


Some foreign road, halfway across the world isn't much fun compared to one you actuallyknow. One that you can learn the turns and speed of. Not to mention one that isn't crowded with other hotshots.


My favorite US road has long been US 50 between Winchester, VA and Clarksburg, WV. I would run that half a dozen times a year to&from DC-OH. I learned it, knew the sections fairly well, and would even turn around and re-run a couple of the nicer parts.


You might get paid to go find the greatest road, but we're still here, sitting at our desk, wait for the weekend. And tickets to Zurich are $1,500...



I have a lone dirt road that I know like the back of my hand and yes, it is my favorite place to drive. But what do you think defines a great road?


Photo Credit: Raphael Orlove


What Makes A Great Road?