Thursday, August 29, 2013

I understand that this is a car blog and that you cover all aspects of car culture, but I kinda thin insuranceinstantonline.blogspot.com

Written By Unknown; About: I understand that this is a car blog and that you cover all aspects of car culture, but I kinda thin insuranceinstantonline.blogspot.com on Thursday, August 29, 2013

insuranceinstantonline.blogspot.com ® I understand that this is a car blog and that you cover all aspects of car culture, but I kinda thin

The first illegal, dangerous, record lap of Manhattan we know of was Alex Roy's 27 minute run in 2001. In 2010, a group called CBC broke that with 26:03. Now a new driver claims 24:07. But what exactly is a lap of Manhattan, and how do you set the record? UPDATE: We have spoken with the driver.


The new fastest laps claims to be set by the elegantly-named AfroDuck Productions. The run supposedly took place just a few days ago on August 26th, 2013. The car is a stock 2006 BMW Z4.


Driver Claims New Record For Fastest Lap Around Manhattan


So what's the route? The driver starts on FDR/East Side Drive at 116th Street, just outside of Harlem. They tear down under the Williamsburg, Manhattan, and Brooklyn Bridges, then shoot through the Battery Park Tunnel around the downtown tip of the island. After that there are the red lights of West Street/West Side Drive, which finally opens up in Midtown by all of Trump's buildings.


The course then cuts off the northern tip of Manhattan, turning right by the George Washington Bridge in Washington Heights. From there, the driver gets across Manhattan at one of its narrowest points, turns back onto FDR/East Side Drive and runs to the start/finish line.


It's about 26.5 miles in total. That makes the average speed only something around 66 miles an hour. As you can tell by watching the video, the real time saving comes from managing traffic.


Well, by managing traffic, I mean passing on the right, weaving across lanes, and cutting people off like a cabbie. Despite the fact that the run is set when there's very few cars on the roads (by Manhattan standards), this is still very much reckless driving.


I wouldn't want anyone I know to attempt this, and I wouldn't want to try a record run myself. It's one thing to drive and crash out your own car, it's another thing to try and drive the limit surrounded by completely innocent strangers in their own cars.


I understand that this is a car blog and that you cover all aspects of car culture, but I kinda thin